logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Feature request: short names for Level/Priority classes
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:18:52 GMT

Hi Bernd,

Custom conversion characters in PatternLayout are scheduled for log4j 1.3.
See http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/plan.html for the plan. I extracted
the relevant text for easy reference:

Custom conversion characters in PatternLayout:

Users often want to add new conversions characters or override the existing
ones.
This should be made easy using new configuration directives. This feature
would use
the extensions to XML configuration language mentioned above.

This hopefully answers your request.

At 21:35 01.04.2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I would like to see short names in the Level class (as I proposed already
>earlier this year). A single character entry would do.
>
>Here some code snippets to realize it:

>public class Priority {
>
>   int level;
>   String levelStr;
>   String shortLevelStr;

>   /**
>      Returns the short string representation of this priority.
>    */
>   final
>   public
>   String toShortString() {
>     return shortLevelStr;
>   }

>---------------------

>public class Level extends Priority {
>

>   /**
>      The <code>OFF</code> has the highest possible rank and is
>      intended to turn off logging.  */
>   final static public Level OFF = new Level(OFF_INT, "OFF", "O", 0);

>   /**
>      Instantiate a Level object.
>    */
>   protected
>   Level(int level, String levelStr, String shortLevelString, int
>syslogEquivalent) {
>     super(level, levelStr, shortLevelString, syslogEquivalent);
>   }

>------------------------------------
>
>regards
>
>-Bernd.
>
>--
>Bernd Goetz                                     goetz@tarsec.com
>TARSEC AG                                       Tel +41 1 496 61 11
>Rautistrasse 12                                 Fax +41 1 496 61 99
>Postfach                                        Mobile +41 79 759 04 26
>8047 Zurich, Switzerland                        http://www.tarsec.com
>--

Ceki
My link of the month: