logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: XMLLayout and throwable element
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:03:01 GMT

How about, if each <log4j:event> record comes with a version attribute?
The inconvenience with this is that the version information is usually
required just once and having the version attribute in each record is
highly redundant.

An alternative solution is to add a version attribute in the <log4j:eventSet>
element in *log4j.dtd*, document this attribute in XMLLayout javadoc and let
the user fill it out for her data.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<!DOCTYPE log4j:eventSet SYSTEM "log4j.dtd" [<!ENTITY data SYSTEM "abc">]>

<log4j:eventSet version="1.2" xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">
   &data;
</log4j:eventSet>

This requires a little work by the user. Moreover, the approach can be applied
to earlier data generated by log4j 1.2c1 and earlier. The user would then
write:

<log4j:eventSet version="1.1" xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">
   &data;
</log4j:eventSet>

I suggest we go for the latter solution(version attrib in log4j:eventSet).
Any comments?

--
Ceki