logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From BMarlboro...@thoughtworks.com
Subject LogFactor5 Donation
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 23:46:05 GMT
Greetings Log4j developers,

In case you hadn't heard, Servidium Inc, creators of LogFactor5, was
acquired by Chicago based ThoughtWorks Inc. this past October.  While we
enjoyed developing LogFactor5, product development and sales are not part
of ThoughtWorks business model.  That said, we are considering open
sourcing the product on Source Forge or donating the product to the Log4j
team.  We would love to donate LogFactor5 to the Log4j development team
since it's one of our favorite tools.

Product Background:

- LogFactor5 - GUI Appender/Console for Log4j
- In development since April 2001
- Current version of LogFactor5 - 1.2 (Version 1.3 has been tested but has
yet to be released)
- 1600 downloads as of March 1st, 2002

Features include:

- Real-time category and log level filtering.
- Read log files from a file.
- Read log files from a URL.
- Customizable Log Table view.
- Category level tree navigation.
- NDC record filtering.
- Full text searching on logged messages.
- Save configuration, filtering, and view settings for later sessions.
- Configure the number of log records to be displayed.
- Customizable record colors.
- Configurable font face and size.
- Customizable Log Table column layout.
- Full support for all Log4j priority levels.
- Full support for custom priority levels.
- Dynamic message counting.
- Also works in standalone mode (i.e. not an appender) for use with a
socket appender and loading files from a URL or the file system.
- 8 fully documented and working examples, user's guide, quick start guide
and product tour

For more information on the product, please see
http://www.servidium.com/site/logfactor5/index.html

In addition, if it is decided that LF5 is to become part of the Log4j
distribution, we would be happy to remove the licensing logic, reformat the
source to Log4j standards, update the documentation and graphics,
rename/repackage, etc.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers,

Brad Marlborough
ThoughtWorks, Inc. -- The art of heavy lifting(SM)
http://www.thoughtworks.com