logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Small patch to display nested exceptions
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 21:07:26 GMT
On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 01:58:39 -0700, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Costin,
>
> I really appreciate your patch. However, as I explained in my previous
> mail it only solves the problem locally and only for those appenders
> that derive from WriterAppender. Don't you think it would be better if
> commons-logging added this feature as a Decoration to log4j? Do you see
> any inconveniences with the Decoration approach?

It could be done in the wrapper - but then you loose any possible
optimization that the logger may have ( and there are quite a few
things that can be done to reduce object allocation, etc).

This could also be configurable ( including tunning like the
method/fields used to walk the nested exception ), or to turn it
on/off.
I don't want to add too much complexity to the wrapper.

BTW, JDK1.4 does this.

Regarding serialization - I think the throwable should
be included and all the information that is available, after
all that's part of the information provided by the user.

Costin