logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Bair <rb...@dtint.com>
Subject Re: log4j-sandbox options
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:27:50 GMT
I'm thinking that:

a) It would be nice to keep the core log4j package as small and
efficient as possible.
b) Allow sandbox classes to be built into independant jars (for
instance, if all I need is core log4j and the smtp appender, then I'd
deploye log4j.jar and log4j-smtp.jar with my app).

The benefits to this approach would be that log4j.jar would be as small
as possible and you could deploy any old appender you want with your
app, or all of them if that makes you happy.  The downside to this
approach is that you could have 10 different little jars to provide your
clients just for logging.

But, couldn't we modify the build.xml file so that it can build x number
of sandbox classes into one jar file, or even bundled with log4j into
one total jar file, except in cases such as servlets?

I'm just brainstorming here, it could be utter nonsense :-)

Is the sandbox meant for all non-core log4j classes such as appenders?

Richard