logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Oliver Burn" <oli...@puppycrawl.com>
Subject RE: checkstyle.properties?
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 09:41:24 GMT
Mark,

I am always keen to see Checkstyle get used - but some may say I am biased.
:-)

Yes, the configuration mechanism did change between Checkstyle 2.3 and
2.4. The changes you outlined are correct. The most likely cause of the
errors
in the Chainsaw source are due to the extra checks added in 2.4. Without
running 2.4 I cannot confirm this. When you commit your changes I will fix
the
errors.

Adopting Checkstyle to an existing code base is a thing that should be done
with much care. As you have no doubt noticed, Checkstyle is very
unrelenting
in reporting errors (I have seen 100,000 errors on a project). It is
important
to first get agreement that you want to follow a coding standard.

Assuming this is the case, and your comments suggest it is the case, then a
consensus needs to be reached on what it is. Other Jakarta projects are
going
through this process. See
http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org/thrd4.html#12374.

Personally I would recommend the Sun coding standards as a starting
position
and just put the case for deviations. I would also suggest that it may be
appropriate for Ceki to provide some "guidance".

Assuming agreement is gained for the coding standard, you are then in a
position to start to enforce it with Checkstyle. However I would recommend
applying the Checks a bit at a time, or on a package at a time. This is to
keep down the number of errors.

I am more than happy to help with the configuration of Checkstyle. I should
point out that a beta has been released of Checkstyle 3.0. The
configuration
has been re-worked and is now XML based. The main advantage of version 3.0
is
that it now has a framework for plugging in external Checks. So if the
Log4J
project comes up with some unique coding standards, then a Check can be
easily
written to enforce it.

Regards,
Oliver