logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Ramadoss Chinnakuzhandai" <ramadoss.chinnakuzhan...@wipro.com>
Subject RE: AsyncAppender in log4j
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:04:14 GMT

Hi Paul :)
           well that's interesting too...

YES the first point you mentioned is correct..yeah I want appender to have an 'optional' asynchronous
'behaviour'.

What sort of control to the asynchronosity(??)---->> My requirement is so simple as
follows

Logging of type 1: logging ====> log4j ===> FileAppender(Which writes into local File).

Logging of type 2: logging ====> log4j ===>JMSAppender ===> JMS Queue ===>JMS
Adaptor ===> Helper Class which writes log data onto a File or DB.

The above are the requirements.

The important thing is that on either case(step 1 and step 2)control should immediately return
back to the process as soon as log4j dispatches to FileAppender or JMSAppender. This is the
reason why I just wondering about AsyncAppender in which we can add any appenders to it and
the moment control go to AsyncAppender would immediately return back as AsyncAppender is a
different thread itself which actually process log request and dispatch to FileAppender or
JMSAppender or whatever appender attached to it and that is the process I feel the real asynchronous.

Let me know your comments reg the same.

Cheers :)
Ram