logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Moore <jim.mo...@veritas.com>
Subject RE: Spaces instead of tabs please
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:37:33 GMT
Ceki's referring to "indentation level", not the number of spaces that
comprise a tab character.  The standard referenced also makes that
distinction.

It's partly because of confusion people have with that distinction that it's
best just to not use tab characters all together.

It's not "safe" to automatically convert tabs to spaces because people do
use different sizes for their tab characters.  If they have theirs set at 4
spaces per tab, and you strip them out at 8 spaces per tab, the formatting
gets horked.  Jalopy will reformat for you too, but it's best to leave that
up to the human eye as much as possible...

-Jim Moore

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Heaberlin [mailto:heabdogg@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 10:50 PM
To: 'Log4J Developers List'
Subject: RE: Spaces instead of tabs please

Couldn't this be accomplished with the jalopy xml settings?  Stripping tabs
and replacing with n number of spaces?

Anyways, the Sun standard specifies 8 spaces for tab stops.
(http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc3.html#262).
I have always thought that to be rather large, and see most places using
either 4 or 8.

-Scott Heaberlin