logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: Alternative contexts for MDC/NDC
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:28:13 GMT

Given that properties are open-ended (you can have many many properties) it
is actually not trivial at all to arrange them in an inheritance hierarchy.

One simple approach is to have hierarchy-wide properties which can be
either set through config file or programmatically.

As in,

LogManager.getLoggerRepository().setProperty("someprop", "someval");

Thomas, would that suit your needs?

At 09:56 AM 9/22/2003 -0700, Scott Deboy wrote:
>I agree we need support for this sort of cross-thread context
>information....properties which are inheritable through the logger
>hierarchy may fit the bill..I haven't looked into implementation
>details, but here's an example:
>
>If you got the "org.apache.log4j" logger and called
>'setProperty("someprop", "someval"), then all loggers under
>org.apache.log4j would also have the property (you would also need
>support for removeProperty("someprop")).  The property would be
>overridden if a closer ancestor set the property (if
>org.apache.log4j.net set the same property).
>
>Opinions dev folks?

Ceki Gülcü

      import org.apache.Facetime;
      ApacheCon US 2003, 18-21 November http://apachecon.com/