logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian.H...@equifax.com
Subject RE: MDC copies
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:03:51 GMT
I'm not sure if the memento will work. Here is our scenario:

We have a map of parameters that need to go into MDC that we want to
print in the log as a block. So, lifecycle looks like this:

SharedContext.put("userId", "bob");
SharedContext.put("transactionId", "123");
logger.info("Something happened.");

Want log line to look like (this is simplified):

04 Feb 13:39 INFO my.Class (transactionId=123,userId=bob]) - Something
happened.

The main requirement that led me to not just put stuff directly in MDC
is that I have an unconstrained list of keys (so can't have a layout
like "transactionId=%X{transactionId},userId=%X{userId}"). Also, though
I could get around this if I dug into PatternLayout a little, I want a
custom "format" of the MDC portion...so in my case, I have a custom
toString() method in the map that I add to MDC.

I can also envision a scenario where I might want to format different
chunks differently, like: "codes:1,3,6,5,4 transactionId=5" where MDC
looked like: codes=<list of some codes that are added to over time>
transactionId=<simple value>

Ideas welcome.