logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Bauer, Paul-Michael" <PBa...@LNC.com>
Subject RE: how to propose and submit new features?
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 02:59:59 GMT
also...make sure you register you contributions with bugzilla as well (not just with this mailing
list).
Otherwise, the contributions will likely get lost.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:ceki@qos.ch]
	Sent: Tue 4/20/2004 11:31 AM
	To: Log4J Developers List
	Subject: Re: how to propose and submit new features?

	Hello Ognjen,

	Please see my comments below.

	At 05:57 PM 4/20/2004, Ognjen Kavazovic wrote:
	>Hello,
	>
	>I would like to propose and contribute a couple of relatively minor features
	>to the current code base, but am not finding any documentation as to how I
	>should go about getting the features approved and then submitting the patch.
	>Could someone point me to the right doc or let me know what I should do in
	>order to have the following included in the soonest release possible:

	Contacting this list and explaining what you have in mind was the right
	thing to do.

	>1. Being able to specify a wrapper-class for the log4JLogger Logger. For
	>example, in the Avalon framework there is a Log4JLogger class which wraps a
	>real log4j logger, and all calls are delegated via the Avalon logger. This
	>makes the conversion characters %C, %F, %L, %l, and %M useless as they
	>always resolve to the same class and line number, i.e. the Avalon
	>Log4JLogger wrapper-class is always the caller. It's a trivial fix to allow
	>the user to specify the wrapper-class in the properties file and
	>programatically, in order to identify the existence of such a wrapper class.
	>It is possible to work-around this by using a custom Logger and overiding
	>the forcedLog method, but it seems that this is general enough to be
	>included in the main code base.

	Your wrapper should use the generic Logger.log() method.

	The signatures is

	log(String callerFQCN, Priority level, Object message, Throwable t)

	where callerFQCN is the fully qualified name of the calling class.

	There is really no need to override forceLog method.

	>2. Being able to specify ConversionPattern PER logging Level. The docs make
	>it very clear that some conversion chars (esp. the ones listed above) are
	>very expensive and should be avoided. However, some of them can also be very
	>useful while debugging, so it would make very good sense to be able to
	>specify one detailed ConversionPattern for the DEBUG logging Level, and one
	>generic, less-expensive pattern for the normal INFO logging, for example.

	In log4j version 1.3, it will be very easy to add your own pattern
	converters. See https://www.qos.ch/logging/PatternLayout.html for more
	details.

	Thus, you could create your own pattern converters, say $Cx, %Fx, $Lx,
	and %Mx, that extract location information only if the level is higher
	than debug.

	I hope this makes sense. If it does not, please shout.

	>Cheers,
	>-Ogi.

	Ceki Gülcü

DISCLAIMER:
**This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary
information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln
National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this
E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken
in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may
be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**