logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: JDBCReceiver - move from sandbox to core?
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:19:07 GMT
At 09:37 PM 4/20/2004, Scott Deboy wrote:
>To clarify how Chainsaw avoids duplicates, ChainsawCyclicBufferTableModel
>maintains the collection of IDs which exist in the table model's
>unfiltered list.  If an event is received which already has that ID, the
>event isn't added to the model.
>
>This is a fragile workaround - would like to rely on loggingevent's
>.equals method but I don't think the .equals issues of contained objects
>(throwable info/location info) were completely addressed.  If they were, I
>could just use a set and not track the IDs.
>
>The ID lookup also causes a problem now that Chainsaw supports the dynamic
>creation of new log panels based on an expression (two panels may have
>events with the same ID, and only the first one will get added to the
>model - a major deficiency).
>
>To fix this hack in Chainsaw (which keeps this new feature from being
>really useful), I'd like to rely on LoggingEvent's .equals method or a
>similar mechanism.

The equals method was fixed a long time ago (at least several months)
including checks on locationInfo and throwable. Please have a brief look at
the code and let me know if I missed anything.

Avoiding duplicates is only one part of the problem. We must also list the
events in order. I suppose that the ID can be used for sorting, assuming
the IDs are ordered as well.

For sake of simplicity, I am ignoring the multiple panel issue, also
because I don't really understand it. It seems to me that it is related but
still a different problem.

By the way, the various implementations of java data structures can perform
in wildly unexpected ways. For example, Vector is unexpectedly faster, much
faster, than a LinkedList even if their general structure is quite similar.
How difficult would it be to use a new data structure for implementing the
underlying model? If it is easy, then we, I should say, you, :-) could test
the alternative models which could more efficient than theorizing about them.

>Scott

Ceki Gülcü