logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: DOMConfigurator.props
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:40:41 GMT
At 04:18 PM 4/27/2004, Endre Stølsvik wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>

>| Endre,
>|
>| Here are a few hints that you might find useful.
>
>Thanks ..
>
>But will you -remove- DOMConfigurator?

Yes! DOMConfigurator will eventually be reduced to

/**
  * @deprecated Use JoranConfigurator instead.
  */
class DOMConfigurator extends JoranConfigurator {
}

to provide backward compatibility and then it will be simply removed.

>  I mean, it is -just- a simple
>setter, and a very natural one that is. If you're about to deprecate it,
>why not just add it, and deprecate it in the same go - it is really "a
>missing feature".

The code in DOMConfigurator will not survive in 1.3beta.

>The point is that the DOMConfigurator already do perform -general-
>variable substitution, but since the "props" reference in DOMConfigurator
>is highly null (there are only -one- reference to it ever, that is when
>it's passed to the substituter!), all substitutions are done using only
>System.getProperty().

I know. I just did not want to waste time implementing it given the bleak
future awaiting DOMConfigurator.

>Btw: the javadocs there says that it first tries system props, then the
>supplied props - this is not true reading the code.

Yes. That is the indented behavior.

>The code is even cooler than I knew; there is recursive substitution!
>
>The Joran stuff: shouldn't this also have this -amazing- feature that
>property-substituion really is from start of? It is really magic - it
>solved all my problems! I earlier had a script that reg-exped through the
>log4j.xml file for some stupid delimiter, before starting tomcat. Now,
>when I found this (undocumented?) feature, I only use the -D options to
>the java-invoker!

The idea is to be able to use either -D options (system properties) or a
property file as described in the javadocs.

--
Ceki Gülcü