logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <Paul.Sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject RE: PreparedStatementAppender vs. JDBCAppenderPlus
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:54:19 GMT
> No one has commented on the idea of using sequential ids to
> distinguish
> between logging events.

I think this is an incredibly important feature, and one probably lacking in
the internals of the LoggingEvent class at the moment too (irrespective of a
unique id in the dB).

Doesn't the JDK1.4 logging framework assign something of a 'unique' id to
each event instance?  Is this something we should consider for log4j, as
this would add a fair bit of power to the aggregation of events from
different sources.

Not sure of any performance penalty though of having to generate an id with
each LoggingEvent instance construction.

cheers,

Paul Smith