logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: JDBCReceiver - move from sandbox to core?
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:37:13 GMT
To clarify how Chainsaw avoids duplicates, ChainsawCyclicBufferTableModel maintains the collection
of IDs which exist in the table model's unfiltered list.  If an event is received which already
has that ID, the event isn't added to the model.

This is a fragile workaround - would like to rely on loggingevent's .equals method but I don't
think the .equals issues of contained objects (throwable info/location info) were completely
addressed.  If they were, I could just use a set and not track the IDs.

The ID lookup also causes a problem now that Chainsaw supports the dynamic creation of new
log panels based on an expression (two panels may have events with the same ID, and only the
first one will get added to the model - a major deficiency).

To fix this hack in Chainsaw (which keeps this new feature from being really useful), I'd
like to rely on LoggingEvent's .equals method or a similar mechanism.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:ceki@qos.ch]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 10:41 AM
To: Log4J Developers List
Subject: Re: JDBCReceiver - move from sandbox to core?

Hi Scott,

No objections to move JDBCReceiver and DeCampo's data source access code to
the jdbc package in log4j proper. Changes can be added if the need arises.

Will you be improving JDBCAppender in any way? I have been quite unhappy
with it in the past but have not had a chance to work on it for a long time...

JDBCReceiver docs state that PatternLayout does not support properties.
That is no longer the case as PatternLayout does support properties,
(%properties is the new conversion word).

How does Chanisaw deal with duplicate reports? I mean if the same event is
reported twice by two separate iterations within the run method of
JDBCReceiverThread?

--
Ceki Gülcü