logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ognjen Kavazovic <okavazo...@slb.com>
Subject how to propose and submit new features?
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:57:21 GMT
Hello,

I would like to propose and contribute a couple of relatively minor features
to the current code base, but am not finding any documentation as to how I
should go about getting the features approved and then submitting the patch.
Could someone point me to the right doc or let me know what I should do in
order to have the following included in the soonest release possible:

1. Being able to specify a wrapper-class for the log4JLogger Logger. For
example, in the Avalon framework there is a Log4JLogger class which wraps a
real log4j logger, and all calls are delegated via the Avalon logger. This
makes the conversion characters %C, %F, %L, %l, and %M useless as they
always resolve to the same class and line number, i.e. the Avalon
Log4JLogger wrapper-class is always the caller. It's a trivial fix to allow
the user to specify the wrapper-class in the properties file and
programatically, in order to identify the existence of such a wrapper class.
It is possible to work-around this by using a custom Logger and overiding
the forcedLog method, but it seems that this is general enough to be
included in the main code base.

2. Being able to specify ConversionPattern PER logging Level. The docs make
it very clear that some conversion chars (esp. the ones listed above) are
very expensive and should be avoided. However, some of them can also be very
useful while debugging, so it would make very good sense to be able to
specify one detailed ConversionPattern for the DEBUG logging Level, and one
generic, less-expensive pattern for the normal INFO logging, for example.

Cheers,
-Ogi.

logging-log4j/tests/src/java/org/apache/log4j/scheduler - New directory

ceki        2004/04/20 03:03:58

  logging-log4j/tests/src/java/org/apache/log4j/scheduler - New directory