logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 Compilation problems
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 09:39:28 GMT
At 11:39 PM 5/23/2004, Raymond DeCampo wrote:

>Ceki,
>
>Using PortableRemoteObject.narrow() is considered the best practice to
>ensure interoperability with CORBA and RMI over IIOP.
>
>Most of the references I've found so far focus on the need to use it in
>EJB clients.
>
>At this point I'm not certain if it is necessary in this case (where EJBs
>are not involved).  The most likely usage scenario for this class will be
>a J2EE component that is in the same JVM as the JNDI provider. It should
>not be needed in that case.  It may be needed when the client is external
>to the JNDI provider although I suspect that it is probably not needed
>when everybody is in a Java environment.
>
>Perhaps the simplest solution will be to remove the use of
>PortableRemoteObject.narrow() and make a note in the documentation that
>the class does not use PortableRemoteObject.narrow() when casting the
>object from JNDI.  Then we can deal with issues if they come up.

That's sounds wise. I'll add this to the Javadocs of JNDIConnectionSource.

Otherwise, have you looked at the DBAppender/DBReceiver pair? (I am about
to commit a new version which uses an event buffer and batched updates
which have a very significant impact on performance, upto i.e. 40 (forty)
fold improvement (x40 = 4000%).

--
Ceki Gülcü