logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <Paul.Sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject RE: Proposed Enhancments to HTMLLayout
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 01:52:14 GMT
> 1st cut, I'd like to implement the layout management in the
> same way as the
> pattern layout, using %? Values for each type and some sort
> of delimiter to
> break up columns.

One way to accomplish this is to 'wrap' a pattern layout inside the new
HTMLLayout, and use it for line/row rendering.  Then it's just a matter of
outputting a header, iterating through each event in the buffer and
formatting with PatternLayout, and then outputting the footer.

It'd be nice to able to specify via a configurable property where to get a
different Header/footer string (say via a resource path), or provide it via
a simple string property.  e.g...

public void setHeader(String)
public void setHeaderResource(String)

The activateOptions method could then decide to use one over the other as
priority, but initialise itself accordingly by either taking the simple
string, or loading the resource as a string.  If this approach is taken, it
would be great to support l8n character sets somehow too.

> After that more customisations (if needed) like colours or
> word highlighting
> or row colouring.
> I don't see these to be a core component of logging, so will
> not look at
> them until the first set are done, but some people may find
> it useful to
> configure these features too.

It's pretty to have, but not essential, although I think a table is much
more readable with row-striping, so maybe have a default row-stripe colour,
and that could be set via configuration (setOddRowColour("#FFFFFF") etc ..).

Anyway, this is just stuff that is coming out of my head.

cheers,

Paul Smith