logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <Paul.Sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject RE: [VFS]: Integration - too early?
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 23:10:19 GMT
Guys, I just reviewed my original email about this, and I SWEAR I put
log4j-dev on the CC list, but it looks like it did not get through, my
apologise.  Hopefully you can read the full email from Yoav's email properly
putting this list back in (thanks Yoav for spotting it).  Certainly not my
intention to leave this list off the discussion.

For VFS specific discussions I will probably be communicating directly with
commons-dev, but anything that affects Chainsaw I will definately keep this
list in the loop.

again, sorry.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Smith
To: 'log4j-dev@logging.apache.org'
Sent: 5/15/04 8:55 AM
Subject: RE: [VFS]: Integration - too early?

I assume you mean just log4j-dev? (I've removed commons-dev)>

Yes, I DEFINATELY WILL NOT break the log4j build. I spent quite a bit of
time last night thinking about just this.  I will (eventually) modify
the
Ant build so that VFS+dependancies are optional, and if not found,
Chainsaw
and log4j will still compile.  It might be tricky, but that's the goal.

If I cannot get this to work, I will not commit it.

I'm hoping that by creating a VFSPlugin in Chainsaw that can be
optionally
started, which uses reflection to see if VFS is available, and if not,
fails
to start.  The VFSPlugin would be a GUI-plugin, so I think this would
work.
I'll put this in a log4j.chainsaw.vfs package so it's easy to exclude.

Besides which I don't think I'll even have anything ready to check in
for a
week or 2.

cheers,

Paul