logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <Paul.Sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject RE: logging_event_property column sizes
Date Sat, 15 May 2004 00:37:45 GMT
Actually, if the coumn is a varchar one, then no space is wasted from what I
remember. Only the exact # chars for the row is allocated.

Having said that, I can speak from my own personal experience with some DB's
when I recommend an actual fixed size column (char).  If you can get a
table's row size to be exactly the same for each row, then most db's can
optimize retrievals, particularly with table scans.  YMMV of course.

I agree that 254 for values seems a bit small, but I would'nt recommend
making it smaller for the key size either, you'd be surprised how quickly
someone would run in to that limit.

cheers,

Paul Smith

-----Original Message-----
From: James Stauffer
To: 'log4j-dev@logging.apache.org'
Sent: 5/14/04 11:31 PM
Subject: logging_event_property column sizes

In logging_event_property both mapped_key and mapped_value are 254
characters.
I don't think I have any keys longer than about 10 characters but I do
have values more than 254 characters.
What would you think of decreasing mapped_key to something like 32 (this
isn't important to me but 254 seems like a waste of space) and
increasing mapped_value to 510 or 1022 (assuming that 254 was chosen as
2 less than a power of 2)?

James Stauffer