logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: More chainsaw comments
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 20:30:55 GMT
The display filtering process works like this:
1. Filter based on the logger tree 'focus on' and 'exclude' settings
2. Refine the results from #1 based on the 'refine focus' field

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:ceki@qos.ch]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 1:07 PM
To: Log4J Developers List
Subject: RE: More chainsaw comments

At 09:13 PM 5/21/2004, you wrote:
>There are two choices off the top of my head for supporting the display
>of
>multiple loggers at once:
>
>- in the logger tree: disable individual loggers you'd like to exclude
>in
>a hierarchy, and then focus on the higher level hierarchy, OR

That doesn't sound practical if you have 50 loggers and you just want to
focus on 3.

>- in the 'refine focus' field, define an expression explicitly
>specifying
>the loggers you are interested in
>         for example, 'logger ~= org.apache.log4j.spi || logger ~=
> org.apache.log4j.xml'

I love this. However, there is one usability issue. Assume you select the
first logger, by the time you want to select the second logger, the events
disappear leaving you with only the events of the first logger. Do you see
what I mean?

Come to think of it, the ability to build up the expression is so powerful
that the Logger panel now looks like a distraction to me.

Good weekend to all.

--
Ceki Gülcü