logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: [POLL] first 1.3alpha or log4j self-logging?
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 21:35:23 GMT
+1 fixing the internal logging

-----Original Message-----
From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:ceki@qos.ch]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 3:23 AM
To: log4j-dev@logging.apache.org
Subject: [POLL] first 1.3alpha or log4j self-logging?

Hello all,

You may have noticed that log4j 1.3 has made quite a bit of progress recently.

Plugins/Receivers have become pervasive. We can offer much more flexibility in parsing configuration
files thanks to JoranConfigrator which has replaced DOMConfigurator. Chainsaw has been enhanced
and improved beyond recognition to become a sophisticated log visualization tool. We now have
strategy based rollovers and support for dynamic conversion words in PatternLayout.

One could say that we are ready for an alpha release for log4j 1.3.

However, the state of internal log4j logging (or error reporting) is in a state which one
might charitably call less than "satisfactory", while utter mess is probably closer to reality.
I would like to rectify the log4j-internal logging problem before making log4j 1.3alpha available
in jar form.

So my question is the following. Do you prefer to release log4j 1.3alpha now or would you
rather wait until the internal logging issue is resolved which could delay the release for
at least another few weeks?  I rather wait to be on the safe side.

ps: Solving the self-logging issue is important because otherwise users do not have a way
of knowing what went wrong in case of log4j-related problems. Log4j currently has about 100'000
lines of code which is more than what initial versions of Tomcat or JBoss had. Thus, log4j
self-logging is a crucial ingredient to ensure a pleasant user experience.

--
Ceki Gülcü