logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From spam2...@meeque.de
Subject Re: Yet another Apender proposal: ListAppender
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:19:16 GMT
Hi.

> Everything new is old again (or vice versa) ;)

Of course. I didn't claim that ListAppender was something new and magic.
I just thought it was another piece which would probably fit well into
the puzzle.

> This has been available
> forever in the form of the CyclicBuffer, used by the SMTPAppender among
> others.

I guess there are lots of Appenders using that buffer internally.
AsyncAppender would be another example. But as far as I know, none of
those Appenders expose their Buffer through their public interface.

> You don't need a whole new Appender just for this.

In fact, what I (beeing a log4j user) needed was exactly an Appender. I
needed it, to feed it directly to the Logger.addApender(Appender)
method. The CyclicBuffer wouldn't help here, cause it doesn't implement
the Apender interface. So anyway I'd have to write my own appender.

On the other hand, ListAppender could serve as an "of the shelf"
solution attachable to any Logger. But as you said, everything new is
old again:
The VectorAppender does exectly the same, only with a little bit of
aditional functionality and a slightly less general interface. If that
one was in the log4j core, I would have picked it.

Regards,
Michael