logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: [POLL] a 1.2.9 release?
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:53:26 GMT
Are there other changes to HEAD that should have been deprecation warnings in 1.2.8 other than
Category?  The only thing I can recall off the top of my head is LocationInfo.

I understand Category could be considered a special case, and I'll vote +1 - under the assumption
that changes to public methods/classes that were removed between 1.2.8 and HEAD can be marked
deprecated as well - at least in org.apache.log4j and org.apache.log4j.spi.

For consistency sake, I'd like us to be more diligent in only changing public methods &
classes that were marked deprecated in a previous release.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:ceki@qos.ch]
	Sent: Fri 10/29/2004 2:26 PM
	To: log4j-dev@logging.apache.org
	Subject: [POLL] a 1.2.9 release?

	Hi all,

	For reasons explained at http://www.qos.ch/logging/replacingCategory.html,
	in log4j version 1.2.x, the Category class was not tagged with the
	@deprecated javadoc tag in the source code. This voluntary omission
	led to a situation where users could still refer to the Category class
	without deprecation warnings being generated by the java
	compiler. Consequently, some users unfortunately still continue to
	refer to the Category class.

	We have marked in red and in bold that users should drop references to
	the Category class and use Logger instead. However, us shouting about
	this important point does not tell the java compiler to enforce
	it. Since we cannot mark the Category class as @deprecated in the
	javadocs, the only compiler-enforced way of pushing users to migrate
	to the Logger class is to tag those methods in the Category class that
	have Category as their return value in their signature. These methods
	are:

	   static public Category getRoot();
	   static public Category getInstance(String name);
	   static public Category getInstance(Class clazz);

	Unfortunately, log4j versions up to and including 1.2.8 did not mark
	these methods as deprecated. As such, I would like to release a new
	version in the 1.2 series, namely 1.2.9, which will mark these methods
	as deprecated. Would you approve such a release?

	Assuming log4j version 1.2.9 is approved, then we can assume that
	users of 1.2.9 will only refer to the Logger class. If that is the
	case, their code will compile and run without change with log4j 1.3
	even if the Category class is removed.

	--
	Ceki Gülcü

	      http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/eclm/