logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: log4j 1.3 minimum JDK (was Re: [VOTE] Release log4j 1.2.12rc3)
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:00:33 GMT

On Aug 17, 2005, at 3:45 AM, Endre StĂžlsvik wrote:
> So, set source=1.2, target=1.2 and bootclasspath=/usr/java/jdk1.2/
> rt.jar,
> and the code will compile according to 1.2 rules, compile to 1.2
> classfiles, and be compiled against 1.2 runtime libraries. It will
> thus
> run on 1.2 JREs!

That is almost what we are doing at the moment (except target=1.1 and
on a Windows platform).  The problem is that it doesn't work in
practice with the javac's in later Sun JDK's running on JRE 1.1 or
1.2.  The bytecode produced is loadable but something distinctive
trips up the JIT's in those JRE's.  Ant also tries to do the right
thing but its distributed jars will load on earlier JREs but will
misbehave when running.

We've had good intentions to run on JRE 1.1 or 1.2, but haven't been
testing on those platforms and have been catch unaware by a compiler
bug.