logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: LGPL ok?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:17:49 GMT
At 03:21 PM 9/1/2005 -0700, you wrote:
 >Hi,
 >Don't do it.  It's a long discussion still under way, a topic of heavy
debate,
 >but the safe answer is don't do it.  You can join legal-discuss for
specifics.
 >If the dependency is optional, i.e. the program will build and run
without the
 >LGPL code, and you specify the LGPL code in the NOTICE file, then maybe, but
 >basically still no.  And you need to run it past legal-discuss anyways,
just to
 >be safe.
 >
 >Often, the quicker route will be to ask the LGPL code owner to relicense,
or to
 >contribute his/her code to the ASF, or to rewrite the relevant parts of the
 >code yourself and license it under AL2.

Uggghhhh!!!!!!  LGPL is safe, even if ASF doesn't want to admit it.  That's
my opinion after lots of reading, email conversations with FSF lawyers, and
watching endless fruitless conversations on ASF lists.  New versions of the
GPL/LGPL should be released in the near future.  Hopefully they will clear
up some of the misconceptions people continue to have.  Until then, we'll
have to live with this ridiculous obstinance from the ASF (nothing
personally directed at you, of course, Yoav)!

Jake