logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Chainsaw IRC client?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 04:28:07 GMT
IRC is inherently hierarchical, server->channels->users

This hierachy is easily represented in Chainsaw's logger tree:
server(tab)->channels(top level loggers)->users(child loggers)

So by default, all messages from any room that you have joined will display in the table.

You can then search or filter events in the table to find all messages from a single channel
or user.

You can also colorize, filter or search for your name to find any message directed to you
(folks usually begin questions/comments with your nick so you can tell it's directed to you).

You could even choose to combine messages across servers into a single tab and perform the
same search/filter capability, using the 'create custom expression logpanel' feature.

And of course you can do all this while you're debugging your app or monitoring logs.

Last thing: you can save off the logging events - a chat transcript - everything displayed
on the tab is saved into a single file and can be reloaded/searched/filtered later.

-----Original Message-----
From: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
Sent: Thu 9/1/2005 8:03 PM
To: Log4J Developers List
Subject: Re: Chainsaw IRC client?

On Sep 1, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:

> I know it sounds crazy, but it is pretty handy, and it's another
> example
> of how to write your own receiver:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/ChainsawHelp

Could you elaborate on scenarios where it is handy?  I'm not sure I
get it.

There seem to be several Apache licensed, but not ASF, Jabber
implementations in Java.  Would an Jabber equivalent be as useful?

There is a JCP proposal for an common instant messaging API, but
acceptance does not appear to be imminent.