logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Fischer <tri...@trispace.org>
Subject append() and connection establishment
Date Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:57:16 GMT
Hi,

i'm developing a custom appender/receiver for the current SVN version of
log4j. My problem is that establishing a connection to the remote server is
quite time consuming, so the user has to wait a few seconds before sending a
LoggingEvent. I've separated the connection process into a new thread but now
my question is what's the "good practice" in log4j to adress this kind of
problem:

- blocking the first append() call until the connection is established? IMHO
not very comfortable for the user

- routing incoming LoggingEvents through a RingBuffer like the SMTPAppender
does?

- switching the "active" field to "false" until the connection is established
and let the user poll for isActive()?

Questions over questions :)