logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Embedding chainsaw
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:11:04 GMT
Hi Kris,

Please make the changes you need and submit a patch attached to a bugzilla issue - we'll review
them for inclusion.

Thanks!

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201

Telephone:      503.224.7496
Cell:           503.997.1367
Fax:            503.222.0185

sdeboy@comotivsystems.com

www.comotivsystems.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Karczmarczyk, Krzysztof [mailto:Krzysztof.Karczmarczyk@sabre.com]
Sent: Tue 7/25/2006 1:31 AM
To: Log4J Developers List
Subject: Embedding chainsaw

Hi,

Our project needs to embed Chainsaw viewer and get limited control over
it. We did appropriate customizations using alpha-6 release but need to
upgrade log4j and Chainsaw to the latest alpha-8 to get latest
improvements and solve common compatibility problems.

We need to create LogUI instance, activate it with our own
implementation of ChainsawAppender and gain some basic control on
columns order/visibility. It would be nice if we could change the
default detailed message formatting also.

In current version of chainsaw we are hitting some problems and to embed
it we need to do ugly hacks. To solve it and make Chainsaw more
embeddable I'm proposing small changes to the code that would make our
life easier:

Must have:
- provide LogUI constructor with ApplicationPreferenceModel argument
- provide accessor for preferenceModel in LogPanel
Nice have:
- add ability to activate (make visible) specified LogPanel instance
- make ChainsawTabbedPane class public - right now LogUI has public
method returning ChainsawTabbedPane instance
- make constants (column names, common properties) available

Let me know what you guys think about it and if this is doable for the
next alpha release. I'm ready to contribute if you are busy with other
things.

Regards,
Kris