logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefano Girotti" <icecu...@hotpop.com>
Subject Re: Contributing with a Configurable Hibernate Appender - 4 David Castro can i release my work on Apache License 2.0?
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 16:15:19 GMT

"Yoav Shapira" <yoavs@apache.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:db94f1a0606300626k7865d2d2oa5f03d33be6d653f@mail.gmail.com...
> Stefano,
> Thanks for suggesting your contribution!  We always welcome new
> contributors and their work.  See more comments inline:
>
>> http://www.entwash.org/hibernate/
> <snip />
>> so i take inspiration and made a Configurable Hibernate Appender... it's
>> the
>> first time i develop an appender so i'm not sure of some aspect...
>
> Can you elaborate a little bit on "i take inspiration" above?
> Specifically, if you copied any parts of the entwash.org
> implementation (which is totally fine, not a crime or shame, don't
> worry about admitting it), what is the license of the original entwash
> code?
>
> The reason we ask is that code contributed to the Apache Software
> Foundation will be licensed under the Apache License (v2.0, see
> details at http://www.apache.org/licenses/), and if you're using parts
> of some existing code that's not licensed the same way, we need to ask
> the original authors for permission.

I Started trying to extend the classes i found... but then i use it as
example on how to build a log4j appender...
i changed significally the stucture... i can say that i rewrote quite
everything... for example i introduce a factory to build hibernate-pojos
As you can see in this newsgroup David licensed hiberlog under the LGPL....
on http://www.hibernate.org/97.html where all begins i don't find any
original authors?!?!?
If  David Castro agrees i think we have no problem....

>> Wich is the best way to contribute & review my code..... I have to build
>> some (JUnit) test? open a sourceforge account/project?
>> Send it in this ng?
>
> One good way to go is to open a new enhancement request in our issue
> tracker: http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Log4j.
> Describe your enhancement, what you've done, and attach the code.

You mean i submit a new bug?!?!?! i have an account... but i didn't see any
way to submit enhancement but only bug???

> Unit tests and any other information you can provide, e.g.
> documentation, are much appreciated.  Attach them to the issue in the
> issue tracker.

i'm a newbie of JUnit... what's the best way of testing a log4j appender???

> And thanks again!
>
> Yoav

Thank You!!!