logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Anyone Interested in a New C++ Log4J?
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 05:33:07 GMT

On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:39 PM, Dion, Gerard (Space Technology) wrote:

> Log4J Users:
>
> I exposed the Java Log4J in C++ by Wrapping it with JNI.  The
> interface is C++-ish, not JNI-ish; all JNI jobjects and such
> returned on JNI calls and such, like the org.apache.log4j.Logger,
> are wrapped and saved inside my own C++ class instances.  So one
> gets instead an org::apache::log4j::Logger instance for each new
> call to the Logger interface.  Example:
>

> static org::apache::log4j::Logger * newLogger =
> org::apache::Logger::getLogger(std::string loggerName);
>

> How do I publish this new C++ Log4J Wrapper?  It’s only 250 lines
> of code right now, and yet it handles most of the functionality we
> need.  To support all the functionality of the underlying 32,000
> lines of Java log4j code, I believe another 1000 lines of C++ might
> be required, at most.

 From reading the code, it would appear that you would incur a JNI
call even when processing log requests that don't satisfy the
threshold.  Both log4j and log4cxx attempt to make discarded logging
requests as cheap as possible so you can feel free to place debug()
calls all over your code without worrying about compromising
performance.

Could you discuss the motivations behind the your effort?

What would be the relative benefits or disadvantages of:

1. Trying to mimic the log4cxx API
2. Provide an adapter that would allow log4j appenders to be used in
log4cxx.