logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 07:11:23 GMT

> log4j 1.3 in my opinion is stuck in a hopeless position.  It is too
> incompatible with log4j 1.2.x to ever be recommended as a drop-in
> replacement for log4j 1.2 in a production environment.  However, if
> you changed log4j 1.3 to be drop-in compatible with log4j 1.2, then
> you would break any apps that had depended on its 1.3-ness.

Well, I don't think we are ever required to support anything built
upon an 'alpha' version of log4j1.3.  Anyone who has decided to base
some changes on an alpha quality release knew the risks.  There was
never a guarantee 1.3.x wasn't a moving target.  Having said that,
I'm not completely concerned about leaving 1.3 as a dead end and
moving one.  I'd just like to get the dev community fired up and
moving in _some_ direction.. :)

> Elias Ross appeared to be motivated to push log4j 1.3 forward and
> while I did not think it was where I thought my time was best spent
> (and I've spent a huge amount of time killing off
> incompatibilities), I was willing to let him prove me wrong and the
> PMC granted him commit privileges.  Unfortunately, he did a bug fix
> spurt and then disappeared.

I honestly don't know what happened there.  It was odd, no question.

>> From a Chainsaw point of view a lot of work on creating good
>> Appender->Receiver stuff was done, and as I setup a decent
>> environment for our QA and Ops team to use Chainsaw through a
>> firewall (port forwarding) while our app is using log4j 1.2.14,
>> I'm beginning to see a dilemma.  serialized LoggingEvents from 1.2
>> just don't contain lots of info coming out the other end.  I then
>> asked myself the question "Should we upgrade our app to use log4j
>> 1.3", and I honestly couldn't say what the quality was, hence the
>> line-in-the-sand email.
>
> I'd love to hear (in a different thread) what would need to be back-
> ported to log4j 1.2.x to move Chainsaw back over it.

Mostly LoggingEvent stuff, I'll do a diff of 1.2-> 1.3 for further
discussions in another thread.  It's mainly MDC that is missing I
think.  Scott can you remember any context here? (The diff will tell
I think)

Paul