logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <curt.arn...@comcast.net>
Subject XML layout
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:22:09 GMT
The log4j 1.2 layout can produce non well formed content for some
atypical content (a message with an embedded -->, threads containing &
or >, etc).  Plus it does not output MDC content (log4j 1.3 does, but
shares the other shortcomings).  I've been tempted to overhaul it but
am hesitant to break code that might have compensated for its
idiosyncracies.  My current thought is to add an XsltAppender to the
extras companion that uses the xslt support added in idk 1.4.  If no
transform is provided, a default transform that results in a format
compatible with the current output but done right.  If you wanted some
other format, you could embed the xslt transform if you were using
log4j 1.2.15 or higher or the replacement configurator in the extras
companion.