logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Small patch for NTEventLogAppender
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 02:21:02 GMT

On Oct 11, 2007, at 7:28 PM, Lilianne E. Blaze wrote:

> Hello,
> I had major problems getting Log4j compiled on Netbeans 6.0 / WinXP.
>
> It was constantly bitching about lack of NTEventLogAppender.dll, even
> when I did everything I could think of to turn off the tests during
> compilation.
>
> The patch below basically checks for the dll file, and if it's not
> found
> emits a log-log warn and then silently swallows all events.
>
> Could you please consider including it?
>
> Or at least provide some instructions on how to disable that
> particular
> test during the build?

The behavior when deployed is much more critical that behavior in an
IDE that making a change to make life in a particular IDE better
isn't a compelling argument.  While not every decision was perfect,
any change of behavior must be carefully considered as to the
benefits that it offers users when deployed vs the potential for
breaking some app that depends on the established behavior.

Changes in the test suite or tests/build.xml have a much lower
threshold as they don't affect deployed behavior.  Currently the
tests/build.xml will skip the NTEventLogAppenderTest if the build is
executed on a non-Windows platform.  You could modify tests/build.xml
to skip that test if an arbitrary property is set, something like:

-<target name="NTEventLogAppender" depends="build" if="is-windows">
+<target name="NTEventLogAppender" depends="build" if="is-windows"
unless="skip-nteventlogtest">

If you set the skip-nteventlogtest property when you launch tests/
build.xml, the test should be bypassed for you and you won't have to
see the messages.  If that works for you, I'd have no problem with
that going in.