logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Changing logging levels in Log4J dynamically?
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 05:02:27 GMT
Will Sargent wrote:
> Jacob Kjome wrote:
>> I'm not so familiar with the JMX stuff, but if you are using this in
>> an application server, you can use something like LogWeb...
>>
>> http://www.codeczar.com/projects/components/logweb/index.html
>>
>> BTW, this really is a log4j-user list question, not a log4j-dev list
>> mail.  Please use the proper list.  You'll probably get more response
>> there anyway.
> I'd argue that this is a log4j-dev question.  The question is not "How
> do you do this?"  I know there are multiple ways in which this can be
> done, and I've even listed a few myself.
>
> The question I'm asking more along the lines of "Is there any ability
> (or declared intent) for doing this as part of the log4j core library,
> without writing too much code?"

I think there's opportunities for that in the extras modules.  I think
the core will more or less be maintained and bug fixed... and later
rewritten, if anyone actually finds the time to do it.  But the extras,
which are a more recent phenomenon are more amenable to additions.  I'm
not sure how much thought the other developers have given to this.  I
don't have the time.  But I think it's a great opportunity for someone
to contribute something that could actually be released as an official
log4j package, albeit not the core.

Jake