logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paula McDowell <pmcdowel...@hotmail.com>
Subject FW: DailyRollingFileAppender for a Struts Web Application using WAS 6.0 and Struts 1.1
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:44:03 GMT

Hi, all. Is there a way to set a DailyRollingFileAppender outside of a log4j.properties in
a struts application? My company’s website is running in a mainfame environment with multiple
WAS instances for each region ie., development, test, and production. This type of architecture
requires my log file to be environment specific i.e. /temp/dev/log or /temp/prod/log. I could
have a log4j.properties for each environment, but don’t really feel good about that approach.

I’ve created a StartUp plugin that will create a log file using a variable defined as a
WAS Resource Environment Entry. The plugin reads the variable and thus creates and names the
log file appropriately. I have yet to figure out how to instantiate a DailyRollingFileAppender
that will roll this file and create a new log at the beginning of each day.

Thanks,

Paula