logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Proposed synchronization changes
Date Sun, 18 May 2008 13:22:26 GMT
Thanks.

I'm also starting to ponder whether there's a mostly compatible way to
reduce locking in AppenderSkeleton and WriterAppender.

For instance, we could add a special Layout interface that would allow
the String to be pre-computed prior to holding the lock (but after
filters and thresholds).

That's just an idea, but I'm looking for something that does any message
to String conversion and formatting without holding a lock on the
Appender, which would be a source of potential deadlock and
unnecessarily limit the (multi-threaded) throughput of log4j.