logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Log4j regression test failure?
Date Sun, 18 May 2008 04:57:15 GMT

On May 16, 2008, at 9:01 AM, Jess Holle wrote:

> I grabbed the 1.2.15 sources, built them, and then tried to run the
> regression tests -- in preparation for making changes and then
> verifying no tests fail.
>
> Unfortunately, I get the following failure:
> Minimum:
>     [junit] Running org.apache.log4j.MinimumTestCase
>     [junit] Testsuite: org.apache.log4j.MinimumTestCase
>     [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.11
> sec
>     [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.11
> sec
>     [junit] ------------- Standard Output ---------------
>     [junit] Files [output/filtered] and [witness/simple] differ on
> line 27
>     [junit] One reads:  [INFO - Messages should bear numbers 0
> through 29.].
>     [junit] Other reads:[ERROR - Message 26].
> What am I doing wrong here?
>
> I sloppily patched around this and got a failure later.  Is there a
> specially crafted environment required?
>
> --
> Jess Holle

Shouldn't be.  Gump builds log4j SVN HEAD several times a day and runs
the unit tests and there has been no report of failures.  The latest
output from the unit tests are available at http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/logging-log4j-12/logging-log4j-12-tests/gump_work/build_logging-log4j-12_logging-log4j-12-tests.html

    Gump runs a Sun JDK 1.5 on a FreeBSD if I remember correctly.  SVN
HEAD also passed on Mac OS/X 10.5.2 (also a JDK 1.5).  The log4j
1.2.15 release was prepared on a Ubuntu 6.06 using a Sun JDK 1.6 and
the tests must pass to build the tarball and zip files.  I've other
times I've run the unit tests on a variety of other platforms and VMs
and haven't seen this failure.

Looking at the test that is failing (MinimumTestCase.simple), the only
way that I see that it could fail and result in the manner reported is
for the "UNDEF" logger to inherit a logging level of FATAL from the
root logger.

The message number comments in the test source are stale since they
weren't updated with the trace level was added.  The second //14
should be //19 and the //19 should be a //25.