logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Frietsch <da-mailing-lis...@friets.ch>
Subject Up-to-date build instructions for Apache chainsaw?
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:44:17 GMT
Hello list,

I'm currently deciding whether to add a new Receiver to Apache Chainsaw
or build my own small logging viewer. As time matters, extending
Chainsaw could be the better alternative IMO.

However, I cannot get Chainsaw to compile from source at the moment. I
read the build instructions in the SVN repository, but they seem to be
out of date. Some mentioned companions seem to no longer exist. So I had
to extemporize a bit...

This is what I tried: First, I tried mvn install for Chainsaw without
doing anything before. It complained about some missing java libs (it
was easy to download and install them), and about the missing zeroconf
companion.

So, I tried mvn install for the zeroconf companion. It complained about
the missing log4j-1.2.16. I tried to download and install log4j 1.2.15,
as stated in the Chainsaw build instructions, and got this error:

[INFO] Compilation failure
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ThinkpadBenutzer\Eigene Dateien\Log4J
Workspace\z
eroconf\src\main\java\org\apache\log4j\net\ZeroConfSocketHubAppender.java:[145,4
1] cannot find symbol
symbol  : method createServerSocket(int)
location: class org.apache.log4j.net.SocketHubAppender

As there might be differences between 1.2.15 and 1.2.16, I then checked
out the latest 1.2.15 tag from SVN that I could find (/v1_2_15, there is
no 1.2.16!), and tried to build that. This is the result:

[INFO] Error executing ant tasks
Embedded error: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ThinkpadBenutzer\Eigene Dateien\Log4J
Workspace\l
og4j v1_2_15\tests\build.xml:456: Test
org.apache.log4j.nt.NTEventLogAppenderTes
t failed

So...? What could I try next? Has anybody some hints how to build
Chainsaw? Is that project still alive at all? The last release was now
more than two years ago...

Thank you,
Oliver