logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Frietsch <da-mailing-lis...@friets.ch>
Subject Re: Up-to-date build instructions for Apache chainsaw?
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 07:56:25 GMT
Update: With the "no tests" parameter for each one, I can build both the
extras companion and Chainsaw itself, but a Chainsaw run attempt later
on just gives me:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problems:
         LogManager cannot be resolved
         RepositorySelector cannot be resolved to a type

         at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI.main(LogUI.java:265)

IMO, this has nothing to do with the execution class path, so I fear
that the ant script has done something wrong...
I have updated my SVN working copies to the latest revisions.

Paul,

Paul Smith schrieb:
>> Now, while trying to build zeroconf, I'm already waiting several minutes
>> to complete the "Running
>> org.apache.log4j.net.ZeroConfSocketHubAppenderTest" step - it seems to
>> do plain nothing, but the build process is waiting for it. I'll give it
>> another hour, but I'm not very hopeful... CPU usage is low, and there is
>> no network traffic either...
>
> I have seen this happen on some computers, and appears to relate to the
> local network.  The test is sending out ZeroConf packets on the network
> and testing that the jmDNS properly gets notifications.  I should
> probably add a default wait time to that test and give up after a
> reasonable amount of time.
>
> You can skip the running of unit tests for both log4j, and
> log4j-zeroconf by using:
>
> mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true package

Thanks again, I'm certainly getting closer to a build success :-)

Anyway, I'm still not successful. The extras companion does not want to
compile either. I attached the output. Is it possible that the junit
package is missing?! I can't really believe that, as I guess that it is
used by the other packages' tests, too.

After this error, I was adventurous enough to try to build Chainsaw even
without it. Surprisingly, it seems to compile, but afterwards, the tests
- testKnownReceivers(org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.receivers.
ReceiversHelperTest) and
- testLogPanelPreferenceModelSerialization(org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.
LogPanelPreferenceModelTest)
fail.

As I'd like to add new receivers, the first error seems to render the
system totally useless for me...
Any ideas?

Tahnk you,
Oliver