logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Up-to-date build instructions for Apache chainsaw?
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 04:20:08 GMT
Paul Smith wrote:
> At the moment, Chainsaw has it's own hard-coded
> registry of 'potential' Receivers that are known, and checks which ones
> can be loaded.  Ideally we would replace that with the standard JAR
> service provider stuff so any custom Receivers could be placed in the
> Plugin directory and be dynamically discovered (sounding a lot like OSGI
> isn't it.  Really starting to think about Chainsaw 3 now.)

Something one step less than OSGi would be the JDK 1.6+ ServiceLoader or JDK 1.5+
OpenIDE Lookup functionality (though I think there's even an older version that is
JDK 1.4+).  Here's an interesting article that describes both...

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javase/extensible/

Jake