logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Frietsch <da-mailing-lis...@friets.ch>
Subject Re: Up-to-date build instructions for Apache chainsaw?
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:48:56 GMT
Hello Paul,

Paul Smith schrieb:
> I've just committed an import change to the affected class that fixes
> the issue for me in Eclipse, but doesn't really explain why it's working
> on the command line (I'm using the Maven Eclipse plugin, so it should be
> the same..).  At any rate, the Assert import that was being used
> previously is odd.  Try with an 'svn update;mvn install' on the extras
> and see if it works now.

The junit error disappeared, yet two tests fail. Output attached in ZIP
file...

>> After this error, I was adventurous enough to try to build Chainsaw
>> even without it. Surprisingly, it seems to compile, but afterwards,
>> the tests
>> - testKnownReceivers(org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.receivers.
>> ReceiversHelperTest) and
>> - testLogPanelPreferenceModelSerialization(org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.
>> LogPanelPreferenceModelTest)
>> fail.
>
> Umm, how exactly did you build/test this?  Can you attach the full 'mvn
> package' output for the Chainsaw project ?

I just went into the directory and called mvn install with the
-Dmaven.test.skip=true parameter. It compiled. Afterwards, I ran
Chainsaw with the .bat file, as stated in the build instructions.
I ran the mvn package command; the output is in the ZIP file, too.

> So, you'd like to be able to add a new Receiver class via the Plugins?

Yes. Call it a sort of abuse, but I'm writing a general logging system
for sensor networks, and using Chainsaw was planned to give me a nice
basis for displaying and managing the log messages.

> Or are you thinking of contributing a more general Receiver that could
> be used by others?  At the moment, Chainsaw has it's own hard-coded
> registry of 'potential' Receivers that are known, and checks which ones
> can be loaded.  Ideally we would replace that with the standard JAR
> service provider stuff so any custom Receivers could be placed in the
> Plugin directory and be dynamically discovered (sounding a lot like OSGI
> isn't it.  Really starting to think about Chainsaw 3 now.)

That's an interesting point. Would it currently be possible to add a new
Receiver to Chainsaw without recompiling it, using the binary on the web
site? That would be enough for me.

Oliver