logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Receivers artifacts and Chainsaw
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 22:54:47 GMT
+1

Not sure about the name chainsaw-receivers (they can be used outside Chainsaw).

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201

Telephone:      503.224.7496
Cell:           503.997.1367
Fax:            503.222.0185

sdeboy@comotivsystems.com

www.comotivsystems.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Smith [mailto:psmith@aconex.com]
Sent: Thu 7/3/2008 3:46 PM
To: Log4J Developers List
Subject: Receivers artifacts and Chainsaw

One of the last tasks to complete before a potential 'release' to the
Webstart version of Chainsaw is building a custom Receiver artifact
output that does not include the JMSReceiver & DBReceiver, both of
which require dependent jars that we obviously can't ship (because we
don't know what provider they'll need).

I plan to add a new output artifact in log4j-receivers that contains
this, and have it with a classifier of 'chainsaw-receivers', and have
it attached via buildhelper plugin so that it is pushed out as an
artifact. A similar approach would be to produce an artifact just
containing JMS+DB receivers.  There would still be a 'non-classified'
binary containing all Receivers as standard.

That way Chainsaw can mark a dependency on it's relevant classifier.
This would mean that both the Webstart and standalone versions of
Chainsaw would require an end-user who wished to use JMSReceiver or
DBReceiver could download the 'extras' pack of Receivers, and drop it
into the plugins folder together with their provider jars.

thoughts?

Paul