logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Bender Heri <hben...@ergonomics.ch>
Subject AW: Logging done in the wrong files
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:44:57 GMT
Your problem is a classloader issue. Keep in mind that the Logger-Universe which you initialize
within your static method is globally the same within the same classloader. Annother classloader
would initialize another logger-universe. You have to elaborate which class is loaded by which
classloader. This depends on the application server you use, its configuration and your deployment.
Search the archives for "MultiFileAppender" and "RepositorySelector". There are plenty of
ideas how to separate log files depending on the context.
BTW: this (log4j-dev) is the mailing list of the log4j developers. Questions on how to use
log4j should be asked on the log4j mailing list.
Heri

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: S.Kannan [mailto:techy_kans@yahoo.co.in]
Gesendet: Freitag, 11. September 2009 15:54
An: log4j-dev@logging.apache.org
Betreff: Logging done in the wrong files

Hi All, A log4j newbie handling a bigger task .. This is my problem Hope somebody has got
some solution for this.

We have a web application as well as a java application. Both are big enough . But since both
are managing the same business around 3 to 4 ear files are used in common for both the applications.
Since we wanted to classify the loggers based on the application we have decided to have unique
log.properties file. The following are the configurations in the log.properties file

for web application
log4j.threshold=ALL
log4j.rootLogger=ALL,INFO_APPENDER,ERROR_APPENDER,DEBUG_APPENDER
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.MaxBackupIndex=50
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.file=data/tda/logs/Logger_Debug_Web.txt
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.Threshold=DEBUG

for java application
log4j.threshold=ALL
log4j.rootLogger=ALL,INFO_APPENDER,ERROR_APPENDER,DEBUG_APPENDER
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.MaxBackupIndex=50
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.file=data/tda/logs/Logger_Debug_Java.txt
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.Threshold=DEBUG

The following is the customized log manager class which we have written public class LogManager
{
	String className;
	Logger objLog;

	static {
		InputStream logprops = LogManager.class.getClassLoader()
				.getResourceAsStream("path/to/log.properties");
		try {
			Properties prop = new Properties();
			prop.load(logProps);
			PropertyConfigurator.configure(prop);
		} catch (Exception e) {
			System.out.println("error in  LogManager" + e.getMessage());
		}
	}

	public LogManager(String className) {
		this.className = className;
		objLog = Logger.getLogger(this.className);
	}

	public void logMessage(String strLevel, String Message) {
		if (strLevel.equals("DEBUG")) {
			objLog.log(Level.DEBUG, Message);
		} else if (strLevel.equals("INFO")) {
			objLog.log(Level.INFO, Message);
		} else if (strLevel.equals("WARN")) {
			objLog.log(Level.WARN, Message);
		} else if (strLevel.equals("ERROR")) {
			objLog.log(Level.ERROR, Message);
		}
	}
}

And in each class files we have called the logmanager like

private static final LogManager logMgr = new LogManager(QueueListener.class.getName());
logMgr.logMessage("INFO","QueueListening starts.");

Now our problem is that most of the times the messages in the Logger_Debug_Java.txt is routed
to Logger_Debug_Web.txt once a class which is common for both application executes. Then the
thread or control does not go back to the Logger_Debug_Java.txt file. Please give me a solution
for this problem

Kannan.S