logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: will there be a parameterized message in log4j like it is in slf4j?
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 00:11:01 GMT
In my case, I prefer to allow the data to be structured in a means that
makes sense to my application (JMX AttributeList's and provider
classes/interfaces thereof thereof make great sense in my case).  A
particular appender can then translate this into whatever makes sense
for another system.  In the case of database logging it can use
structured data field names and knowledge of the target database table
to fill in the table with configuration required only in the exceptional
case.  This is far more useful than simply stuffing the entire message
into a database column.