logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Another release push for log4j 1.2.16
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 13:18:10 GMT
Curt Arnold wrote:
> 2. org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender and
> org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender have a disproportionate
> number of bugs.  The extras companion has the log4j 1.3 rework which
> still is subject to the multiple instance problem.  An java.nio base
> replacement for all of the above is just an idea at the moment.
> Should we add Javadoc comments on RFA and DRFA to point users to the
> extras or should we try to get an nio framework into the next dot
> release (goodbye JDK 1.3 compatibility)?
Anyone who still needs 1.3 compatibility is unlikely to move to the
latest log4j 1.2.x even.  The rest of log4j users should also not be
held back so much by the few who are stuck on 1.3.

There are various locking improvements (removal of bottlenecks, etc)
that would be good as well (I've made these in my own fork of log4j and
proposed them in the past).  In cases the best solution to these
requires Java 5.  In others, it may not be possible to maintain absolute
compatibility (though I think I'm awfully close).

--
Jess Holle