logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Another release push for log4j 1.2.16
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 05:26:31 GMT
I should have some time this weekend to prepare a release candidate.
I've been going through the bug database trying to knock off some low-
hanging fruit.

Got a couple of questions I'd like feedback on.

1. The recent thread on parameterized logging briefly touched on LogSF
and LogMF in the extras companion.  There seemed to be some
dissatisfaction, however no elaboratation on whether the problem was
that it was in extras and not in the main distribution, the
unfavorable benchmark or something else.  Since it is a non-
instantitated class, there should not be the class conflicts that
would occur if it was loaded by multiple class loaders, so having it
both in the main and extras companion is a possibility.  Do you think
LogSF and LogMF should be bundled in the log4j.jar?

Just crossed my mind that if you are using Java 5, you could likely
use "import static org.apache.log4j.LogSF" and then just have

debug(logger, "My {} is {}", "dog", "shepherd");

in your code.

2. org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender and
org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender have a disproportionate
number of bugs.  The extras companion has the log4j 1.3 rework which
still is subject to the multiple instance problem.  An java.nio base
replacement for all of the above is just an idea at the moment.
Should we add Javadoc comments on RFA and DRFA to point users to the
extras or should we try to get an nio framework into the next dot
release (goodbye JDK 1.3 compatibility)?

3. Any bug fixes in the pipeline that we should hold off on?  Any
reported bugs that have an achievable fix that should be included?