logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Another release push for log4j 1.2.16
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 14:13:48 GMT

On Oct 9, 2009, at 8:18 AM, Jess Holle wrote:

> Curt Arnold wrote:
>> 2. org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender and
>> org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender have a disproportionate
>> number of bugs.  The extras companion has the log4j 1.3 rework
>> which still is subject to the multiple instance problem.  An
>> java.nio base replacement for all of the above is just an idea at
>> the moment.  Should we add Javadoc comments on RFA and DRFA to
>> point users to the extras or should we try to get an nio framework
>> into the next dot release (goodbye JDK 1.3 compatibility)?
> Anyone who still needs 1.3 compatibility is unlikely to move to the
> latest log4j 1.2.x even.  The rest of log4j users should also not be
> held back so much by the few who are stuck on 1.3.

I think that we could lose JDK 1.3 compatibility without consequence
at this time.  Actually, as long as the java.nio stuff was in a
specific appender then the rest of log4j would still run on 1.3.

> There are various locking improvements (removal of bottlenecks, etc)
> that would be good as well (I've made these in my own fork of log4j
> and proposed them in the past).  In cases the best solution to these
> requires Java 5.  In others, it may not be possible to maintain
> absolute compatibility (though I think I'm awfully close).

I'd like 1.2.16 to have only low risk changes.  Maybe cut 1.2.16 and
then look at reviewing the patches again.

On Oct 9, 2009, at 3:28 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> For log4j 1.3 or 2.0, please jump all the way in the 21st century to
> Java 5 if not 6. Java 1.4 is EOL.
>
> Gary

log4j 2.x target has been "designed for Java 5".