logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributing
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 05:11:44 GMT
Hi Joanne,

and thanks for contributing

Here are some cool links: http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html

>I know I should add an  item to the ASF Bugzilla list

Please make sure you drop an additional note on the mailinglist too,
probably with your patch attached (if it is not too big). This will
increase visibility :-)

> – however, if I’m willing to do the work
> what’s the process to get the feature approved?  Once a feature is approved
> and code checked in, how long before that change becomes available to
> download via a release?

It depends. :-)

Usually your patch goes in and when one of the committers have time,
they will review and apply it. Once applied, it is visible in the
trunk and everybody can already check out and build a snapshot

The next step is to make a release. This is usually done when a few
issues are collected or something really worse has been fixed or a
very good new feature has been added.

In case of Log4j, it can take some time. Here are the dates of the
latest releases:
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/changes-report.html

The last release took 3 years. But this should not prevent you to
contribute. A high interest will push a new release forward.

Cheers,
Christian