logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Personal note, month old concurrency threads and project annual meeting
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 04:28:21 GMT
This weekend I was able to reassembly my home office after moving last month.  I  had hoped
to do more catching up, but only got as far as assembling the quarterly board report and writing
this message.

It was encouraging to see the discussions in the bug reports in mid-April around concurrency
issues.  It was unfortunate that it wasn't sustained and encouraged and I hope to be able
to revisit it this week.  Those involved in the threads seemed to be knowledgeable and motivated
and it would be great for the project if that motivation could be converted into involvement
and contribution.

Long ago, I had proposed an "annual meeting" for the project where we could lay out various
recurring topics (for example, compatibility policy) and get a definitive project vote on
the record.  The idea was that we'd have a wiki to collect proposals, have some time to consider
them en masse and then have a defined period to consider them all.  A lot of these issues
are interrelated, so considering them in isolation is not beneficial and never resolving them
is not healthy.  Hope to be able to set an initial Wiki up and establish a schedule for proposal
submission, discussion, personal statements and voting period in the next two weeks.